Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Council Estate Christians 18: Good vs Bad Expository Preaching

I previously wrote a defense for expository preaching.

I would however like to clarify that this expository preaching does still need to be good.

I don't agree with people who think expository preaching is no good for council estates - BUT I do think that some expository preaching needs to be better, and I wonder if some people who are down on expository preaching, have heard bad examples?

Particular areas in which I feel expository preaching could improve for council estates is:

1. More verse by verse teaching
2. More anchoring in the text (showing points directly from the Bible text itself)
3. More down to earth, real life applications
4. Less waffling

The 1st 2 are mainly methodological, and can easily be adopted.
The last 2 depend on how much time a pastor has to prepare. I know that the less time I have to work on a sermon, the worse I do with these points.

So lets pray that we'd be better preachers, and see better preachers.