Saturday, December 20, 2008

Council Estate Christians 11: Why don't Muslims have this problem?

My last post on council estate Christians was about how the perception is often that Christians are middle class. For some reason this is not a problem for Muslims in London.

I often meet Muslims from council estates, but I don't often meet Christians from council estates. At a recent Debate between a Christian and a Muslim apologist – I couldn’t help but notice that most of the Christians were wearing suits or chinos and blazers – whilst most of the Muslims were dressed in street gear.

This is fascinating to me, because if you look at both the doctrines and the history of Christianity – it shouldn’t be this way.

So, if I grow up on a council estate today – what might I think? That if you’re from the streets – you can be a Muslim, but not a Christian.

Why do we have this problem?