Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How to not lose your Greek

Dave Black has posted some good advice on his blog
http://www.daveblackonline.com/blog.htm

Whenever I cook Chinese food I use an old cast iron pot we've had forever. The secret of cast iron cooking, I think, is the buildup of grease and oil from all the times it's been used. Why do many students who have successfully negotiated the treacherous shallows of beginning Greek drown in the depths of the ocean? It's the lack of "buildup," perhaps. I think Greek gets better and better with the buildup. A newly-acquired language soon becomes a close friend and constant companion. I have established a discipline in my life of reading my Greek New Testament at least once a day. Occasionally I will preach and teach from its pages. No one can really know their Greek without reading it constantly, though many try. Just a few minutes a day may make the difference between using your Greek and losing it. That's why on Tuesday I will be offering all of my Greek students the opportunity to join the prestigious "Five Minute Greek Club." Now, there are two things you need to know about this club: there are no dues, and we never meet. But if you do sign up, you agree to translate two verses daily from your Greek New Testament throughout the summer months. The reward? That'll be up to the Lord Jesus. If you do complete the program, however, send me an email and I'll give you a firm email pat on the back in response.