Thursday, December 27, 2007

Billy Graham's statement about judgment and hell

It is so sad to watch this video clip.

Billy Graham has devoted so much of his life to preaching the gospel, but there are 3 major problems with what he says here.

1) He refuses to say that people will go to Hell if they do not believe in Jesus.
Jesus said however,
John 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

2) Rather than giving doctrinal reasons for not preaching about judgment, Billy claims it is not his 'calling'.
This seems in contradistinction to Jesus' calling (he preached Hell and Judgment on numerous occasions), and to Paul's calling who said,
Acts 20:26-27 'Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.'
- It is very sad to see that Billy is shrinking back from telling the whole counsel of God. He has chosen to present one aspect of Biblical truth, whilst ignoring another aspect.

3) Billy describes himself as having mellowed.
In response to this, I would want to encourage Billy with Paul's words,
2 Timothy 4:5-8 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Let's pray that Billy would be convicted of his error, and that he might end his race well for the glory of God.